Orthopedic Surgery Billing
MPMR can make sure your practice is ready for ICD-10 with several certified coders and orthopedic medical billing specialists. Call MPMR for a complimentary consultation to find out how your practice will benefit!
Just like with other specialties, billing codes for orthopedic procedures differ according to criteria set in the ICD-10-PCS. Using these specific codes, medical billing specialists can bill the proper procedures to a patient’s insurance company, creating a more unified system of billing and coding.
There are many different types of medical specialties that require specific coding for billing and even within certain specialties there can be different billing codes depending on the actual procedure.
For orthopedic procedures, the billing varies based upon what type of procedure is being performed. In general, orthopedics deals with issues with the bones, tendons, ligaments, and/or muscles. The coding can differ depending on which portion of orthopedics under which the procedure falls.
Tendon & Ligament Procedures
- The code for a tendon repair in the right lower arm could be coded as one of the following: 0LQ50ZZ, 0LQ53ZZ, or 0LQ54ZZ, depending on the approach being used.
- The code for a ligament repair to the right lower arm could be coded as one of the following: 0MQ50ZZ, 0MQ53ZZ, or 0MQ54ZZ.
- The first character designates the section in which the procedure falls in the ICD-10.
- The second character denotes the body system that is being affected by the procedure.
- The third character is determined by the root operation (main objective) of the procedure.
- The fourth character is established as the character that specifies which body part is being affected by the procedure.
- The fifth character defines the approach of the procedure.
- The sixth character outlines the device being used.
- The seventh character provides any other qualifying information pertinent to the procedure in order to make the coding process as simple as possible.
Office: (951) 699-0303
Fax: (951) 296 3531
Cell: (951) 757-2056