18 Feb Is the Cloud Safe for Medical Billing Data?
Just how safe is the Cloud regarding patient information? Can we trust online medical billing software to keep sensitive billing data secure? In theory, the Cloud is supposed to make our lives simpler, but in reality, it may drive us nuts, leaving data open to cyber threats from malicious hackers and thugs. Can we keep our billing data safe from security breach? The short answer: Yes, we can!
Cloud Computing Advances
Cloud computing has made many advances over the last five years. In addition, great efforts have been and continue to be made to keep sensitive and private information safe from online prying eyes. Not all practice management software systems are created equal, however. Before you sign on the dotted line with a vendor, you need to ask many questions.
In order to determine whether a Cloud-based solution will fit your unique business needs, you should ask:
- Does the software vendor understand and work with other providers that share my specialty?
- Can I try out the system with your processes (in a sandbox environment) to see if it will play nicely?
- Does the vendor have a good track record of trustworthiness?
- Will the vendor give references that I can contact?
Cloud computing has been around for a while now, but it is still important to ask the right questions before signing a contract with someone. Should a potential partner not wish to answer all the questions, this is a huge red flag. The main thing is to be 100% in agreement and comfortable with the provider.
Benefits of Cloud-Based Practice Management Software
There are many benefits to have Cloud-based practice management software. These include:
- Easy implementation – Cloud-based solutions run on the worldwide web (WWW) instead of using desktop software. Therefore, there is no hardware or software to install. The best benefit is that practice owners do not experience any interruption in cash flow, and they enjoy a faster return on investment.
- Bigger savings – Small practices often face significant financial hurdles when they install medical billing software. Between the initial out-of-pocket expense, as well as the costs of maintain and updating a system, the organization may spend thousands. Cloud-based medical billing software requires no software license, no installation, and no large cost for implementation. This makes it a good option for small- to medium-sized facilities.
- Minimal information technology (IT) resource requirements – When you use the Cloud for medical billing, a healthcare facility requires far less onsite IT support. There is no need to hire an IT specialist to install, test, configure, run, update, and secure hardware and software. These tasks are simply done by the medical billing provider. In addition, updates automatically are deployed in the web-based system, so practice owners don’t have to worry about out-of-date software.
- Seamless scalability – If you have a small practice, but are looking to expand, there is no doubt you know about IT problems. Cloud-based practice management software makes this scalability easy and painless, allowing the addition of new users, locations, and doctors.
- Superior accessibility and collaboration – All users may access and securely long onto the system from any place where there is an Internet connection. This allows doctors and other healthcare workers to collaborate effectively in a secure environment so they can offer the best care.
- Greater security – Web-based medical billing solutions deliver more security than client-server systems. Using the Cloud gives you HIPAA compliant data centers that offer bank-level security. Most client-server systems cannot deliver this level of encryption, and data is only as secure as the room where the system is located.
MPMR works with over 100 practices nationwide on maximizing revenue and assisting with operational efficiencies. Whatever the networking infrastructure, they will work with practices on their cloud computing. Call us today for a free phone consultation!